Top 10 Ways to Ensure
New Year's Resolution Success
By Melissa McFarlane
Did you know that fewer than 10% of people who set New Year's Resolutions actually achieve them? How can you ensure YOUR success? Try using the Top 10 Tips below.
1. Write Them Down. It's a fact: writing down your goals gives you a higher chance of success.
2. Commit. Move beyond the land of "good ideas" to promise yourself to show up for your goals. Perhaps you can do a ritual or ceremony to symbolize your commitment.
3. Tell People. Let your biggest fans in on your new commitments and goals for the year.
4. Get Accountability. Even better than just letting others in on your "secret" dreams and goals-get some accountability. Meet for lunch once a month with a group that will ask you, "So, how's it going with your goal?" Hire a Life Coach. Talk to your best friend. Get some support!
5. Make a Plan. Ensure success with a step-by-step plan. Electric Kites loves to work backwards by starting with the end vision of where you want to be and working backwards to where you are today. You'll find an easy plan to make your goal a reality.
6. Do a Goal Check-In. Before you decide on what you'll take on for the year, make certain you can answer, "YES!" to the following questions: "Am I the primary reason for setting this goal (vs. your mom, boyfriend, wife, boss, society)? Do I feel alive and energized by this goal? Is this goal in line with my life purpose or mission?"
7. Get Real! If you're contemplating putting a goal down that you always put down and never achieve, take a second look. How will this goal end DIFFERENTLY this year? Is this goal something you need to let go of? What purpose is it serving you each year?
8. Focus With Reminders. Once you've got your goals and plan in place, figure out ways to remind yourself. Some Electric Kites' clients post their goals in their bathrooms or cars. Others put reminders in their palm pilots or cell phones. Figure out what works for you.
9. Believe and Visualize. Do you know the story about the group of basketball players who spent one hour visualizing making baskets, while another group actually practiced? The visualizing players had better seasons! So visualize yourself on New Years Eve 2004 with all your goals achieved. What would that look like? How would it feel? Visualize once a day and see the difference it can make in your life.
10. Get Your Butt to the ReCHARGE Workshop! All of the above steps (and MUCH MORE!) are outlined in depth at the Electric Kites ReCHARGE Workshop in Los Angeles and the SF Bay Area. Imagine the difference it will make to take just one day out of your life and focus on yourself, your dreams and your goals. You deserve it! It is an investment that is guaranteed to bring success. (Electric Kites clients won big in 2003. Go to our website to see how: www.ElectricKites.com!)
May 2004 be the year that your goals and dreams reach full flight!
Content herein previously developed by Amy Ahlers and Melissa McFarlane.
Electric Kites Success Coaching, All Rights Reserved. No part of this material may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system without the express written permission of the author. For more assistance please contact: info@ElectricKites.com